Skip to main content

9 - 15 Mar - Learn With Joy and Not With Sorrow - Jacob 1 - 4

Jacob 1 - That We Might Persuade Them to Come Unto Christ I'm taking an online economics class right now, which prompted me to think of the definition of economics in the context of the scriptures. Economics is the study of the allocation of scarce resources. In the case of Nephi and his successor Jacob, the plates upon which they engraved their record was a scarce resource. They were costly to make and difficult to engrave, and instilling a tradition of passing them through generations was surely cumbersome.  Recognizing the great importance of spiritual things and the challenge of maintaining records, Nephi instructed Jacob to prioritize religious instruction saying, " if there were preaching which was sacred, or revelation which was great, or prophesying, that I should engraven the heads of them upon these plates, and touch upon them as much as it were possible, for Christ’s sake, and for the sake of our people" (Jacob 1:4).   This priority was not only reflecte...

Moroni 1 - I Had Supposed Not to Have Written More


Considering the beauty and importance of the final words of Moroni in the Book of Mormon, it is strange to think that they were an afterthought. After completing his abridgment of the record of the people of Jared, Moroni confessed, "I had supposed not to have written more" (Moroni 1:1). 

Our lives can, and frequently do, take unexpected turns. Depending on our circumstances, we could all make statements similar to Moroni like, "I had not supposed to still be single," or "I had not supposed to struggle with depression," or "I had not supposed to have a career in engineering" or "I had not supposed that I would spend 1/6 of my life in Asia," or "I had not supposed I would have a child with a disability." Each and every one of us will experience things that we had not predicted or "supposed."

Some our most significant and divinely appointed work happens when we grapple with the things in our lives we didn't plan. This was certainly the case for Moroni. And even though he could not have predicted that he would still be alive at this point, the Lord had a purpose for him to fulfill. "Wherefore, I write a few more things, contrary to that which I had supposed; for I had supposed not to have written any more; but I write a few more things, that perhaps they may be of worth unto my brethren, the Lamanites, in some future day, according to the will of the Lord" (Moroni 1:4). 


Application Questions

What aspects of your current life could you have never planned or predicted? How are these parts of your life benefiting you and others?

What things have you done or accomplished after you thought you were already finished?

What can you do in your current unexpected circumstances that "may be of worth unto your brethren?"

Image Credit: Walter Rane history.lds.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

24 Feb-1 Mar - Their Scales of Darkness Shall Begin to Fall From Their Eyes - 2 Nephi 26-30

2 Nephi 26 - He Shall Heal Them In 2 Nephi chapter 26 Nephi reflects on the future destruction of his people. It must have been difficult for him too see visions of his posterity wiped off the face of the earth. As he witnessed that " they shall be visited with thunderings, and lightnings, and earthquakes, and all manner of destructions, for the   a fire   of the anger of the Lord shall be kindled against them, he exclaimed, " O   the pain, and the anguish of my soul for the loss of the slain of my people! For I, Nephi, have seen it, and it well nigh consumeth me before the presence of the Lord" (2 Nephi 26:6-7).  Despite his sorrow, Nephi still acknowledged " but I must cry unto my God: Thy ways are   jus t" (2 Nephi 26:7).  The destruction of the Lord is not generally reserved for casual sinners, but " they that kill the  prophets , and the saints" (2 Nephi 26:5) . Because they rejected Christ and his teachings...

Ether 7 - Wherefore Shule Gave Him Power in His Kingdom

In just a few short generations after arriving in the promised land, the Jaredites experienced civil war, and divided into competing kingdoms  Kib was king of the Jaredites, but was overthrown and placed in captivity by his son Corihor. Kib's other son, Shule, challenged and defeated Corihor and returned the kingdom to his father. What surprises me most about this story is the ease with which Shule forgave his brother Corihor: " And Corihor repented of the many evils which he had done; wherefore Shule gave him power in his kingdom" (Ether 7:13). Corihor had imprisoned their father for years and started a conflict that resulted in the death of many people on both sides. For most in Shule's positions, forgiveness would not even feel like an option. Most monarchs would have executed him for treason. Instead Shule not only forgave Corridor, he  gave him "power in his kingdom." Forgiving others does not mean we do not impose consequences or set bound...

Mosiah 13 - Salvation Doth Not Come by the Law Alone

Abinidi is protected while he delivers his message to king Noah and his priests. Knowing that God has a plan for our lives and will help us fulfill His plan can free us of fear and self-doubt. When king Noah and his priests try to slay Abinidi, he retorts,"God will not suffer that I shall be destroyed at this time" (Mosiah 13:3). When Joseph Smith was wrongfully imprisoned in Liberty Jail he and his companions suffered unimaginable injustice, and received a similar assurance from God. "Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever" (D&C 122:9). No matter how brief our remaining time on earth, it is sufficient to accomplish all that God has in store for us in this life.  Abinidi's confidence and obedienc...